DESC has an array of volunteer opportunities in its programs that serve the homeless of Seattle (click here to see list of ongoing individual volunteer opportunities).
The goal is to match your gifts and talents to our needs, allowing you to do meaningful, purposeful work that makes a difference. Volunteer positions require that you are dependable, have good communications skills and are able to interact with people from a variety of backgrounds.
What we typically look for in a DESC volunteer:
- Willingness to serve men and women of Seattle's homeless community.
- 18+ years of age.
- Able to comply with DESC confidentiality and volunteer boundary requirements.
- Available to make a commitment of at least one shift per week for six months.
- Complete a background check.
Steps to Get Involved:
- Complete the online inquiry indicating your area of interest.
- Respond to confirmation email to register for an upcoming volunteer orientation.
- Complete online individual volunteer application.
- Complete and sign the Liability/Hold Harmless form, Volunteer Role Description & Background Check (section C only). Return in person or by email.
- Attend orientation. An overview of DESC and homelessness in Seattle will be provided in addition to a review of current opportunities and the documents above.
- Coordinate with our volunteer team to schedule your first shift.
Ready to dive in? Take the first step and fill out the general inquiry form below.
(DESC will never share your personal information)
Return to Volunteer page